Opera in the Vineyard Complimentary Coach Timetable
Check to see how close a pick up point is to your accommodation.
Download the 2014 Brochure
2014 Opera in the Vineyard
featuring Opera Queensland
Date: Saturday, 3rd May 2014
Opera Only Ticket : $90
Lunch and Opera Ticket: $170
Opera and Dinner Ticket: $175
All Day Ticket: $230
Corporate Lunch and Dinner Packages are available (min 20 guests). Contact the winery direct.
Bookings taken from January 2014.
The Artists 2014
We are proud to announce the artists for Opera in the Vineyard 2014
Mr Rosario La Spina (Tenor), Ms Leanne Kenneally (Soprano), Ms Hayley Sugars (Mezzo Soprano)
ably accompanied by
Mr John Woods (Piano)
and compered by
Mr John Colwill
Please click here to read Artist Biographies
Opera In the Vineyard is a charity event held on the first weekend in May each year in the spectacular vineyards of Ballandean Estate Wines. The event is one of South East Queensland's premier cultural events, and the jewel of the Granite Belt's social calendar. Opera in the Vineyard attracts up to 2000 people each year providing an intoxicating mix of music, wine, food and an unforgettable time. The event organisers Ballandean Estate Wines and the Rotary Club of Stanthorpe have donated almost a million dollars to charity since the events inception.
The Event Program
Opera in the Vineyard offers a number of experiences to suit each guest:
- Lunch and Opera: a sumptuous sit down lunch followed by Opera in the open air amphitheatre
- Opera and Dinner: arrive in time for the opera and stay for the Gala Dinner Dance to dance the night away
- All Day: arrive for lunch and stay until the band stops playing at the end of the night
- Opera Only: Spend 3.5 hours mesmerised by the music, the view and the wine.
Complimentary Buses are the best way to attend the opera, although ample car parking is available adjacent to the winery.
The Bus Routes are as follows:
- From Stanthorpe (Route 1) - All along main street starting from Top of the Town Caravan Park. Following highway through Severnlea and Glen Aplin and Ballandean.
- From Stanthorpe (Route 2) - From Stanthorpe via Eukey Road to Ballandean. Also along Mt Tully Road.
- From Warwick - All motels along highway starting from Post Office/Warwick Centre
- From Ballandean - Cottages on Eukey Road and Jacobsen Road. Along Pyramids Road to Girraween National Park Rangers Station.
- From Tenterfield - All motels along highway from southernmost motel
A Friendship, A Dream
The opera was born of a friendship between Angelo Puglisi and his neighbour, the late David Pugh. Many times they shared a wine as they watched the sun set over the autumn coloured vineyards and mountains of Sundown National Park and listened to Opera. As David and Angelo dreamed of sharing this magic with others the seeds of the vision were sown.
Opportunity and Reality
In 1993 the Wesley Hospital was outfitting a lodge where rural patients could reside comfortably whilst they received cancer treatment. Rotary Clubs were being asked to sponsor rooms and with the recent passing of David Pugh, the opportunity arose to turn the dream into a reality - honouring David's vision of sharing some of the beautiful things in life whilst helping others. Thus the first 'Opera at Sunset' was born.
The Rotary Club of Stanthorpe and Ballandean Estate Wines have worked together over 20 years to cement Opera in the Vineyard on the cultural calendar of the Granite Belt.
The Opera is a wonderful example of what can be achieved when business and the community work together for a purpose and also decide to have a lot of fun along the way! Stanthorpe Rotarians are an enthusiastic Club of men and women, who with their partners and family, delight in organising and running the Opera each year.
Our Music Makers
Opera Queensland have joined the Opera in the Vineyard team and we are delighted to have them on board. The 2011 performance (their first) was an outstanding success with standing ovation after standing ovation.
Take a look at this wonderful vision of local young talent and Opera Queensland Young Ambassador, Matt Manahan performing during Opera in the Vineyard 2012. His performance was highly acclaimed by the professional performers as well as the appreciative audience.
Vision of Matt Manahan performing at Opera in the Vineyard 2012