Help us to Celebrate our Silver Anniversary
2017 Opera in the Vineyard
Date: Sunday, 30th April 2017
The Rotary Club of Stanthorpe and Ballandean Estate are looking forward to bringing you another fantastic Opera in the Vineyard, so start planning your favourite weekend of the year now and we will stay in touch.
Prices for 2017:
Opera Only General Seating:TBA
Lunch and Opera General Seating: TBA
Dinner and Opera General Seating: $TBA
All Day General Seating: $TBA
Return Bus Ticket $20 per person
Please Note: Buses from Warwick & Tenterfield will only be available for Lunch and Opera -
NO RETURN BUS AFTER DINNER to WARWICK OR TENTERFIELD
A limited number of premium and reserved seats are available at an extra cost of:
$50 Row A
$35 Row B
$30 Rows C D and E
Opera Queensland is currently in discussion with a number of wonderful artists to help us celebrate our 25th year and Silver Anniversary. Please come back to this page soon to see who will be performing in 2017.
The Artists for the 2016 Opera were
Mr David Hobson
with guest artist Ms Katie Stenzel
Opera In the Vineyard is a charity event held on the first weekend in May each year in the spectacular vineyards of Ballandean Estate Wines. The event is one of South East Queensland's premier cultural events, and the jewel of the Granite Belt's social calendar. Opera in the Vineyard attracts up to 1800 people each year providing an intoxicating mix of music, wine, food and an unforgettable time. The event organisers Ballandean Estate Wines and the Rotary Club of Stanthorpe have donated almost a million dollars to charity since the events inception.
The Event Program
Opera in the Vineyard offers a number of experiences to suit each guest:
• Lunch and Opera: a sumptuous sit down lunch followed by Opera in the open air amphitheatre
• Opera and Dinner: arrive in time for the opera and stay for the Gala Dinner Dance to dance the night away
• All Day: arrive for lunch and stay until the band stops playing at the end of the night
• Opera Only: Spend 3.5 hours mesmerised by the music, the view and the wine.
Full bars will be operating at the Opera and both lunch and dinner where you can choose from a range of award winning Ballandean Estate wines or your favourite alcohol of choice. Please Note: Wine is not included with the meals, so now you can enjoy your favourite wine with the amazing food provided by the Barrelroom.
Our Music Makers
Opera Queensland have joined the Opera in the Vineyard team and we are delighted to have them on board. The 2011 performance (their first) was an outstanding success with standing ovation after standing ovation. The 2016 performance is being created by the very talented team at Opera and Queensland and is sure to be an enthralling and beautiful performance.
Shuttle Buses are the best way to attend the opera and are $20 return, although ample car parking is available adjacent to the winery.
The Bus Routes are as follows:
• From Stanthorpe (Route 1) - All along main street starting from Top of the Town Caravan Park. Following highway through Severnlea and Glen Aplin and Ballandean.
• From Stanthorpe (Route 2) - From Stanthorpe via Eukey Road to Ballandean. Also along Mt Tully Road.
• From Warwick - All motels along highway starting from Post Office/Warwick Centre. There is no return bus after the Dinner.
• From Ballandean - Cottages on Eukey Road and Jacobsen Road. Along Pyramids Road to Girraween National Park Rangers Station.
• From Tenterfield - All motels along highway from southernmost motel. There is no return bus after dinner.
A Friendship, A Dream
The opera was born of a friendship between Angelo Puglisi and his neighbour, the late David Pugh. Many times they shared a wine as they watched the sun set over the autumn coloured vineyards and mountains of Sundown National Park and listened to Opera. As David and Angelo dreamed of sharing this magic with others the seeds of the vision were sown.
Opportunity and Reality
In 1993 the Wesley Hospital was outfitting a lodge where rural patients could reside comfortably whilst they received cancer treatment. Rotary Clubs were being asked to sponsor rooms and with the recent passing of David Pugh, the opportunity arose to turn the dream into a reality - honouring David's vision of sharing some of the beautiful things in life whilst helping others. Thus the first 'Opera at Sunset' was born.
The Rotary Club of Stanthorpe and Ballandean Estate Wines have worked together over 20 years to cement Opera in the Vineyard on the cultural calendar of the Granite Belt.
The Opera is a wonderful example of what can be achieved when business and the community work together for a purpose and also decide to have a lot of fun along the way! Stanthorpe Rotarians are an enthusiastic Club of men and women, who with their partners and family, delight in organising and running the Opera each year.