Did you know that the Granite Belt is one of the highest altitude wine regions in Australia?
At 1000 metres above sea level, the air here is invigorating — sparkling, fresh — immaculate.
Our 100% estate-grown cool climate wines are sustainably farmed on granitic terroir. For over 80 years, we’ve been cultivating grapes, crafting wine and sharing it and we would love to share our world-class wines with you.
Established 1932 — Queensland’s oldest winery and home to 50-year-old Shiraz vines
We have two bellissimo high altitude vineyards in Ballandean: Ballandean Estate and Bellevue. Our free-draining granitic soils, cool climate and high altitude provide us with the perfect conditions to create national and international award-winning cool climate wines.
- The original vineyard, 800m above sea level, is situated on Sundown Road Ballandean. It was first planted by Salvatore Cardillo in 1932.
- The oldest vines on this vineyard date back to 1968, when Angelo Puglisi cemented his future in winemaking by planting a block of Shiraz vines in 1968 and Cabernet vines in 1975 on his Ballandean farm.
- Those first vines have been lovingly nurtured over the last 50 years and now produce the award-winning Opera Block Shiraz and our signature wine Generation 3 Shiraz Cabernet—refined, elegant with intense fruit typical of a cool climate profile.
- We are growing shiraz, merlot, cabernet sauvignon, sauvignon blanc, malbec, semillon, cabernet franc, sylvaner, malvasia, fiano, nebbiolo, white muscat and muscat giallo on this vineyard.
- The second vineyard Bellevue was purchased in the late 1990s. It is 850m above sea level and situated on a hill overlooking the Girraween National Park.
- Vines were planted on the slopes of the Bellevue vineyards in the early 1970s.
- We are growing shiraz, saperavi, merlot, cabernet sauvignon, chardonnay, semillon, cabernet franc, durif, fiano, black and white muscat on this vineyard.
- The granite soils reflect heat onto the fruit — speeding the ripening during the day, with cool temperatures overnight — resulting in mature, intensely-flavoured fruit.