After months of forced closure, family-owned winery Ballandean Estate was one of several Granite Belt wineries grateful to open its cellar door for tastings to customers on Saturday. The changes, announced by State Government late Friday, came as a relief to wineries on the Granite Belt and throughout Queensland.
Leeanne Puglisi-Gangemi, fourth-generation vigneron and wine industry leader, has spent the last few weeks working with the Queensland Wine Industry Association and lobbying the Office of Liquor and Gaming for some easing of restrictions.
It was frustrating to see cellar doors excluded from the lifted restrictions that enabled restaurants and cafes to host ten patrons at a time. Wineries have so much space! We believe that wineries should be able to offer cellar door tastings with numbers reflecting the size of the venue and its COVID-safe plan.
We are thrilled that wineries are now able to provide seated tastings to guests and continue to sell bottles for takeaway. All of us have really been missing the face to face contact we enjoy at Queensland’s oldest family-owned and -operated winery on the Granite Belt.
“Ballandean Estate’s cellar door sales have been reduced by 70 per cent since lock-down. However online sales have increased exponentially, thanks to the support and encouragement received from our loyal customers over the last few months and innovating in our digital approach to marketing.
It has made the world of difference. From the Puglisi family, we would like to thank every person who is getting behind our family-owned and -run business and keeping us afloat!”
Here is what Ballandean Estate Wines what we can now offer under its COVID-safe venue plan
- Tastings for up to 8 people at any one of our five dedicated tasting zones.
- A selection of wines will be available for tasting during each personalised 45-minute tasting session. Due to COVID regulations, our tasting experience has changed to a sit-down style. We hope you love this change.
- Dine-in lunch and dinner for up to 30 guests at The Barrelroom.
- Takeaway meals and local meal delivery from The Barrelroom.
- Gourmet picnic hampers that can be consumed in the courtyard, on the estate or taken home.
- Express takeaway wine and food lane at the cellar door.
- Tour group visits of up to 40 people on the premises.
How to make sure you book an unforgettable experience
- We’d love it if you could book your tasting in advance online or over the phone. Our peak times are over lunch and on Saturdays, and we highly recommend booking first.
- If you want to come in on the day and have not yet booked, we ask that you pick up the phone and call us on (07) 4684 1226 so that we can fit you in.
- Walk-ins are always welcome, keep your beanie handy as we could be wine-tasting under the pergola in the winter sun if there is an overflow of people.